Reading and playing with my favourite picture storybooks!

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Puff the Magic Dragon

This is both a fantastic song and beautifully illustrated picture storybook.


Reading tips:

1. Sing it! Something amazing happens to kids when a person starts singing. They go into a delightful trance. If your voice is a bit ho-hum, like mine, don't worry - kids are the most forgiving audience in the world.

2. Invite the kids to join you for the chorus. It starts and finishes with the chorus, so the kids feel fully engaged. Some will try to read the words and sing the rest, as well. I don't say anything but just continue singing. It is a brave thing for a child to keep singing when their friends aren't!

3. Stop and describe words. like "sealing wax" - what's that? Or what about, "frolicked" - what does that mean?  Even "Autumn" and "Mist" can be discussion words.

4. Change the ending! If you listen carefully (amazingly, no one has mentioned it) I changed the end of the song because of the pictures in the book. As one YouTube viewer commented: This made me cry tears of JOY when my teacher read this to me and my classmates! One of my friends yelled out, " Oh my gosh, THATS HIS DAUGHTER! " Then I bursted into TEARS!! Beautiful story.. Wow..

5. Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment