Reading and playing with my favourite picture storybooks!

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy by Lynley Dodd

This is a classic. You can find it in every Australian primary school and probably in each classroom those schools. Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy teaches repetition, rhyming and group involvement.


Reading Tips:

1. Interact on "Hairy Maclary". I have a stuffed little Hairy Maclary that I give to one of the kids in the front row and explain we will take turns with Hairy - saying his name and then passing him on. Each new dog added to the list has the repeated "And Hairy Maclary". I have the kid who has the dog say "Hairy Maclary" after I say "and" - if any other kids say it with them, I stop them and say "Who has Hairy? Oh, I was confused because there were so many Hairy's in the room!"

2. Interact on "from Donaldson's Dairy". I ask the rest of the class to say "Donaldson's Dairy" after I say, "from" - this gets everyone involved in special tasks (saying Hairy Maclary) and group tasks (Donaldson's Dairy) and makes what would seem to be a very odd book become highly engaging. No wonder every kid loves it!

3. There are a lot of weird names in this book! If you haven't read it before, practice saying the names so they rhyme with the words that are supposed to rhyme with them. This may be a completely silly idea to some, but being American, my accent means things don't always rhyme the way they should!

4. Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment